Sunday, April 15, 2007

This Little Light of Mine Romans 13:11-14

I have been reminded in Romans 13 this week that "now it is high time to awake out of sleep; for now our salvation is nearer than when we first believed." How near is that? I like to think that it is VERY soon.

Because His coming for us is soon we are encouraged to "cast off the works of darkness and let us put on the armor of light." Rm 13:12 That's a cool visual! Armor of Light! Makes me think of 2 different passages.

Eph 6:10-17 "Put on the whole armor of God..." v.13 "Therefore take up the whole armor of God, that you may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand. (firm)"

John 8:12 "I am the light of the world..."

You might say that putting on Christ (Rm 13:14)is putting on the armor of light and He is the power to stand firm against the evil one.

It is a dark world we live in, and there is an evil power that blinds the hearts and minds of many. But, dear ones, we are not bound by it but rather set free and now it is our responsibility to shine!

So, "let us walk properly,(decently) as in the day," - did you get that? (As in the day?) You mean it's not day? No! It is night! You bring the light to the world around you!

Judges 5:31b "But let those who love Him be like the sun when it comes out in full strength."

Shine for our Savior and Lord today! Light exposes sin, brings warmth, causes growth and yes, cheers our hearts.

Daniel 12:3 "Those who are wise shall shine like the brightness of the firmament, and those who turn many to righteousness like the stars forever and ever."

What a picture!

Remember the song "This Little Light of Mine"... Now it's up to you!

7 comments:

Brooke said...

the problem is that i think most of us are motivated by feeling and we don't always "feel" like shining. i know lately i haven't... a friend of mine always used to tell me "choose joy, brooke". that is something i have to remind myself of more than once a day. even if i don't feel joyful, i must choose joy so that i can shine!

anyway, thanks for this marti. it was a good exhortation!

Grace Powell said...

Amen! We have to choose to shine to by 'putting on' that armor. This is an voluntary participatory action we have the ability and priviledge to engage in!

Thanks for reminding me. It is sobering to think how mindless my days so easily become.

Michelle said...

Thanks for the exhortation to shine. I enjoyed your take on the Armor of light. It's always fun to compare Scripture with Scripture.

Concerning the previous comments, I don't think that shining means we have to be joyful and smiling. When we walk through the trials of life, they are most certainly difficult. We can't expect to breeze through them smiling. That's the time that we try to find rest in the God of all comfort.
Michelle Moses

Ruth said...

Thank you for your thoughts. I think I can safely say that we all need to be reminded to find joy in the LORD and in Him alone.
Keep up the encouraging posts! I know I need them!

marti said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Rachel said...

Yes, I agree with what's been said. We're trying to teach Ethan that joyfulness is a choice, and it always makes me evaluate MYSELF... I think Brooke is right, especially for us women who are often motivated by our emotions, it is hard to "feel" joyful when you look at what's going on around you.

I really appreciated the poem that Wendy posted, with the line "Look up!" Because that is the only way to find true joy, isn't it? There will always be something to get us down here on earth. But in His presence, "there is fullness of joy!"

Kelly said...

Marti, Just a note to let you know that I've been praying for you and your family and Joel's recovery!